Galapagos by land or by sea? This is the first question we ask ourselves before we choose a Galapagos vacation.
Travelers have traditionally visited the islands on a cruise. The reason behind this goes back to the late 1970´s when the islands were practically uninhabited and basic utility services such as electricity and running water were scarce. Today however, Galapagos land-based programs (also frequently referred to as Galapagos Island hopping tours) have become increasingly popular, as they provide you with options ranging from hotels to activities.
As one of the pioneers of adventure travel in the Galapagos Islands, weve worked hard to deliver the best experience possible. Throughout the decades, weve expanded our portfolio to include quality hotels and the best experiences in each island. Depending on your travel itinerary, you’ll stay in two or three hotels during your trip, each on a different island. These hotels will serve as your base, you’ll take day trips from each one, and your travel time will be limited to short connections between islands. This means you’ll come back to a comfortable room and a delicious meal, and optimize your time by doing more activities and taking shorter trips from place to place.
Our land-based journeys and adventures give you a fantastic alternative to your Galapagos visit. Here are 10 compelling reasons why:
- Rest and relax in comfortable boutique hotels. Never worry again about being sea sick.
- Spend less time moving from place to place, and more time having fun.
- Enjoy flexibility and freedom to do what you want, whenever you want.
- Enjoy flexibility customizing your program and excursions as per your best interests and travelling pace.
- More time spent on each activity – excellent choice for active travelers.
- Ideal for families – lots of kid-friendly activities and opportunities to enjoy down time together.
- Support the development of local economy. Seventy percent of your vacation investment stays with local communities.
- Smaller group size with personalized attention.
- Increased interaction with the locals through our specialized cultural exchange experiences and the uncontrived encounters that come with.
- From small private aircraft, you will get unbeatable views of the island formations and volcanoes of the Galapagos that you’d never otherwise experience.
Our Journeys and Adventures in Galapagos offer you a truly authentic experience. We make an effort to bring you close to the local families, tell you the local stories, walk through local farms, visit artisans, chocolate makers, coffee growers, and delight you with foodie experiences like local feral pig and fresh ceviche Galapagos Style.
Opuntia Hotels and Neotropic Expeditions are certified Sustainable by Rainforest Alliance. Environmental stewardship a high priority to us. Our land-based Journeys and Adventures provide an enhanced experience and a sustainable future for Galapagos tourism.