Galapagos by land or by sea? This is the first question we ask ourselves before we choose a Galapagos vacation.
Traditionally, travelers have always visited the islands on cruise ships. The reason for this dates back to the late 1970´s when the islands were virtually uninhabited and basic services such as electricity and running water were scarce. However, this has completely changed over the last two decades and now you can find almost anything you can get in continental Ecuador as well. Consequently, Galapagos land-based Tours (also known as Galapagos Island Hopping Tours) have become increasingly popular.
As a pioneer of land-based adventure travel on the Galapagos Islands, we have worked hard to guarantee a truly unique experience for our clients. Over the past two decades, we have expanded our offer continuously and now include some of the best hotels on each island in our tour packages. We did this to ensure your once in lifetime trip, also becomes a once in a lifetime experience that you will continue to remember for a long time. Depending on your itinerary you’ll stay in two or three carefully selected hotels, each on a different island. These hotels will serve as the base for your activities during the day. This way your travel time is limited to short transfers between islands and you can enjoy your time on the Galapagos to the fullest.
Our land-based journeys and adventure tours are a fantastic way to experience the Galapagos Islands. Here are 10 compelling reasons why:
- Rest and relax in comfortable boutique hotels. Perfect if you are sensible for sea sickness and prefer to stay on solid ground.
- Spend more time exploring the islands and less time moving from place to place.
- Enjoy flexibility and freedom to plan your trip like you have always wanted
- Customize your program and excursions taking your personal interests and travelling pace into account.
- Spend more time on each activity – excellent choice for active travelers.
- Ideal for families – We offer many of child-friendly activities and opportunities to enjoy time together as a family.
- Support the development of the local economy. Seventy percent of your vacation investment stays with local communities.
- Small group size with personalized attention. Average group size for fixed departures: 3 travelers!
- Interact directly with locals through our cultural exchange experience program and many natural encounters.
- Enjoy breathtaking aerial views on the islands while you travel by private plane from one island to the next.
Our Journeys and Adventure Tours to the Galapagos Islands offer a truly authentic experience. We make an effort to bring you close to local families, tell you local stories, visit farms and artisans, chocolate makers, coffee growers, and delight you with unique dishes such as the local feral pig and fresh Galapagos Style Ceviche.
Opuntia Hotels and Neotropic Expeditions are certified as sustainable tour operators and hotels by the Rainforest Alliance. Environmental stewardship is a high priority to us. Our land-based Journeys and Adventures provide an enhanced experience and a sustainable future for Galapagos tourism.